23 June 2012

Nearing Religion

It feels like being a cyclist has given me a drive, a real sense of purpose, nearing a religion at times – it's what keeps me connected to the world, I need it otherwise I feel lost. There are other hugely important things in life, family, friends, working life, but I think cycling – it being driven by one's self – it is a great way to lose all external unseen forces, whether it be a difficult week at work, mounting bills or something someone said to you in the pub in passing – and pureify life once more, man, machine, natural elements, a starting point and nothing much else. And like a Catholic's hand over the flame we test our boundaries, our faith and suffer for our causes.

"I wanna work with machines and look handsome" Howard Devoto.

The other religious acts I have picked up along the way, with no priest or supreme being showing me the light, is the uniform, the cloth. laid out in wedding day detail before every ride. Its connected me to people I have known for a few weeks more than some people i have known all my life. And connected me to the passing – saying hello to fellow cyclists, dog walkers, joggers along the way, less so during rush hour and at men in vans – its best to revert to a harden city goer during times of great depression. I feel kinda privileged to able to lose myself in something which somehow resonates on a bigger scale. And yes at the end of the day its just a fucking bike ride. But...

No comments:

Post a Comment